The crypt of the Counts Henckels from Donnersmarck
This small two-storey Baroque building was built in 1752 and it was adapted in the 19th century. Next to the sculpture there is a statue of Saint Joseph, a stone folk-artwork from polychrome sandstone from the middle of the 19th century.
The count family of Henckel von Donnersmarck and Vösendorf that finally gained the masterdom of Bohumin on 26th May, 1629, was forced to build this construction by external circumstances.
Members of this noble family, who belonged among the most active followers of the Protestant pietism, wanted to have a dignified final resting place. Therefore, they had a family tomb built in the very corner of the cemetery, sometime in the second half of the 17th century. The two-storey building, with a tomb in its basement and with a sacred space on the ground floor, looks like a Roman rotunda without the apse.
Since 1752, when the tomb was rebuilt into its present form, served its purpose only for a short period of time. The last male descendant of the family branch of Johann Erdman Henckel von Donnersmarck and Vösendorf from Bohumin was buried here on 16th March, 1803. The very ground of the tomb was then later at the turn of the 19th and 20th century cleared and the entrance was landed up.
After a partial reconstruction, this building whose floor served for decades as storage of disused church furniture, was in 1974 registered into the list of cultural heritage. Only thanks to the initiative of Vítězslav Malchar, Otmar Faja and their colleagues, the above-ground part of the tomb was restored and converted into the chapel of the Virgin Mary in the years 2001 - 2002. This chapel, where in May are held afternoon worships, where at the same time is placed the former altar of the Corpus Christi, blessed in 2002 by a general vicar of the Ostrava-Opava diocese monsignor František Kufa.
Published / updated: 1.6.2006
Viewed : 3 647