Chapel of the Guardian Angels in Stary Bohumin
Chapel of the Guardian Angels in Stary Bohumin, which is sometimes marked as a chapel "under the water reservoir", is located in Stary Bohumin in places where the former barns of burghers of Bohumin were originally located. It was built in 1950 and maintained by donations of local believers. Its origins go back perhaps till the year 1831 when in this location, the citizens of Stary Bohumin who died because of Asian cholera, were collectively buried. It happened due to lack of space on the former cemetery, located next to the parish church in Stary Bohumin.
Burials in these places were held again in 1846, when due to same reason as in 1831, many citizens of Bohumin, who died due to crop failure and as a result of the great famine and epidemic typhus, found their last resting place here.
Up to this day this small sacred building has been preserved only because of the fact that plans to build a new neo-Gothic chapel have never been fully implemented. In the history of its existence, the chapel has been repaired several times. Documented general repairs took place in years 1968 (perhaps in 1968, Francis Ligocki painted for the chapel altar the painting of Our Lady of Sorrows, this oil painting is now located in the parish museum), 1973, 1980, 1995 and 2004. Since 1967 the Chapel has been registered in the Central List of Cultural Heritage.
By credit of a particular civil association Maryška, that from the VIA Foundation grant (55 000 CZK) and the Municipal Authority Bohumín grant (25 000 CZK) gained the necessary amount of funds necessary for the chapel reconstruction held in 2004. Numerous volunteers from the citizens of Stary Bohumin and young environmentalists as well took part in this reconstruction.
The Act of re-sanctification of the newly named Chapel of the Guardian Angels (formerly Our Lady of Sorrows) took place on 28th October, 2004 and many local citizens and guests took part in it. The cross, made by the Prague film director Milos Zabransky within the Outdoor Summer Woodcutting festival called “Leto-kruhy 2001”, was re-erected again.
Published / updated: 1.6.2006
Viewed : 3 038