Station Building of the Railway Station in Bohumin
The station of Bohumín has been an important railway junction since its creation. Hardly any city has experienced such a rapid development, as former Sunychl-Bohumín-station, recent Novy Bohumín. Before the year 1847, this part of land was covered only by swampy forest. In that mentioned year, the northern railway track for the Emperor Ferdinand was setting out from Lipnik nad Bečvou through the Bohumin’s fields to recent Stary Bohumín. The citizens didn’t agree with this plan and made use of financial distress of the Countess Rudnicka to offer her own lots in Sunychel forest for the railway building purpose.
By construction of railways and a railway station, the landscape around Bohumin suddenly changed its look. Houses for civil servants, craftsmen, traders and train staff were built. Later, the first factories were established. The very first train arrived in this emerging agglomeration on 1st May, 1847. In 1847 the original station building was also built, but then in 1860 a new building was built on the former site instead. In years 1902 - 1904 the main railway station building was rebuilt in Renaissance style into its present form. At the same time the platform was built and, of course, the railroad facilities got improved either.
In a building process of the “Royal- imperial private railway Košice-Bohumín”, with a full operation process since 18th March, 1872, another one-floor- station building was built in 1868. This was used only for this railway track. In 1898, the former building was replaced by a new more spacious one, which still can be found at a crossroad of Bezručova and Lidicka streets. After 1948, the Housing Board of Bohumin was settled there, today it’s owned by a private company. During the World War II., due to the military importance of this station, its generous reconstruction, modernization and expansion started. Unfortunately at the end of war, the station was completely devastated. What wasn’t damaged by the air attack of U.S. bombers on 28th August 1944, was destroyed by explosives or removed by the recessive German army.
In the postwar period, everything began to be gradually repaired and the railways electrification started. The first train pulled by an electric locomotive passed through the station in Bohumin on 29th April, 1963. And since this moment the glory of steam locomotives began to decline. The station building became to deteriorate, the roof above the main hall was leaking, plaster facades of the building were falling off and the whole building was an awful pasteboard entrance into the city.
Finally in the 90s, the total station building reconstruction took place, but the whole part opposite the post office collapsed and had to be newly built when keeping its original style. In 1995, the building work was completed and since that time it has been ranked among the most significant historical monuments of the town. In August 2003, the Czech Railways set to work of the total renovation. Tracks and platforms have been rebuilt, modernized and all operational and information systems have been computerized. Functionless buildings have been demolished and the new entrance for disabled people has been built. All work was completed in December 2005 and nearly 2.6 billion crowns were invested into this challenging work by the Czech government. It can be said that the complex of railway station buildings in Bohumin currently has become one of the most modern and beautiful in the Czech Republic. Detailed historical data about the local railway station can be found in publications describing Bohumin from the years1947, 1976 and 1997.
Published / updated: 1.12.2009
Viewed : 5 468